Monday, November 26, 2007

enchanted weekend

What a great weekend! It started out on Wednesday night watching the Disney movie "Enchanted" with a friend from work. It is such a fun movie, I laughed almost the entire time. Amy Adams is very convincing in her role as a Disney cartoon princess thrown into New York City life.

On Thanksgiving I went out to an all you can eat buffet with a friend and her children. No cooking, no clean up, and lots of good food.

I spent much of the weekend working on Christmas gifts. They are coming along nicely, albeit slowly. It's a good thing I have a Christmas deadline, actually Christmas minus shipping time.

My birthday was Friday, but I didn't do anything special. All my family members called me to wish me a happy birthday. One of my friends who was out of town on my birthday gave me a frosted pan of brownies shaped like a heart, so I ate that and ice cream for my birthday. Continued work on my Christmas gifts.

Saturday I was completely burned out working on Christmas gifts so did other things. I had one of my friends from work and his family over. They have a 3 year old daughter and a 1 year old son. They were a little tired and cranky and made the usual noises young children make. The parents kept apologizing, but I told them not to worry. It is so nice to hear children voices (even if they're crying) and little feet running around in my condo. I have a whole lot of quiet time.

I watched the BYU-Utah game, always a great game. BYU was either ahead or tied the entire game until the last 90 seconds when Utah pulled ahead. In true BYU style, BYU scored in the next minute and Utah's attempted miracle throw in the final few seconds of the game was incomplete! Yeah BYU! It reminded me of last year when we were in Utah, coming to Salt Lake from Vernal. We were listening to the final minutes of the game as we drove into Salt Lake and sat in the car to listen to the final minute, another last minute win for BYU. We went to a shopping mall after that--it was so great to be in a crowd of fans dressed in blue or red, happy blue-clad fans and sad red-clad fans.

Sunday I went to the Spanish congregation in my church. I went to that ward for about 9 months, working with the children, about two years ago. I haven't really been back since. My Spanish is kind of rusty, although I am surprised by how much I understand. It surprised me even more that some people remembered me from 2 years ago and gave me a warm welcome. I think I will continue to go there once a month or every 2 months, to keep up my Spanish and associate with really great people.

I had a nice transition back to work today, giving a presentation on statistics to a group out in Natick, about an hour drive from my house during rush hour if I take the back roads. It's a pretty drive through lots of open space. I worked the rest of the afternoon from home. Tomorrow I am going to have to get back into the rat race they call a commute here. Ugh!

Hope you all had a happy Thanksgiving and a nice weekend!

2 comments:

ellen said...

Sounds like a fun holiday weekend!

Jaydee and Shaunda said...

Sounds like a wonderful holiday weekend. You are so good with Christmas presents...I am so far behind. Have a great week.