Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The joys of homemade/homegrown food


I got a call from Eileen on Sunday saying Geri had left me a gift and the sooner I picked it up the better. I was thinking homemade food or maybe some chocolate that was going to melt during our heatwave. I was so surprised to see it was a potted tomato plant for my balcony. I had thought about foregoing that this year as I got a late start, so I was SO SO happy to see this tomato plant. I'm going to have lots of tomatoes this year, especially since I'm wary now to buy them at the store due to the salmonella scare. THANK YOU GERI!!!

It's on my balcony now, thriving in all this hot weather we're having.



Last night I went over to my friend Saralynn's to learn how to make bread. Here is a picture of my attempts--not perfect but not too bad for a first try either. As she was walking me through the process some of it did sound familiar from my teenage days when my mom was trying to teach me to do the same thing. As the bread was baking I got to spend some quality time with Saralynn and her infant daughter. It's always such a treat for me to hold and play with a young child. Thank you Saralynn!!

1 comment:

Lorin and Marilyn said...

Home made bread and tomatoes....I want to come to your house this summer. Of course, with the hot weather you are having, you may be the only one in our family able to raise tomatoes. Everyone else is getting flooded, snowed on, blown away or something exciting.