Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A child's thought on the president

My 4 year old niece M is raised in a household of Obama supporters. However, my sister is very good about exposing M to both sides of a situation and she encouraged M to make her own decision as to who she would vote for if she was old enough. M listened to the debates with her mom and dad.

A couple of weeks before the election, M told her mom that Obama would make a better president. Her reasoning: He says thank you (and apparently McCain does not). My sister had no idea where she picked that up

More recently, M has switched sides. M's family doesn't go to church on a regular basis, but her daycare provider, B, is Christian. B voted for McCain. M's new way of thinking: B believes in Jesus, and she voted for McCain, therefore McCain must be the right candidate.

I thought that was a nice piece of deductive reasoning, whether or not you agree with the steps that got her there. I am so glad that my niece, who is only 4 years old, is already using her brain to decide what the best decision is for her, and she can back it up with some good reasons. If she encounters some new information that seems pertinent, she will re-evaluate her decision. Way to go M!

1 comment:

Lorin and Marilyn said...

I'm glad she can think for herself.Kids pick up an a lot more than we think.