Thursday, July 15, 2010

Grandpa Price Trip to Utah Part V

As mentioned previously, one of the main reasons for my trip was to see my grandfather Price and his wife. He just turned 93 and is still pretty healthy, although he moves slower than he used to, and tires easily. I last saw him about 4-5 years ago, so it was definitely time for another visit. I rented a car for the drive to where he lives--a small town about 3 hours east of Salt Lake City.

A mandatory stop on the way was Granny's in Heber City. I used to come up here sometimes when I was in college for their shakes and burgers. It was worth the long drive. Yummy!





The Utah mountain desert is gorgeous in any season, although very different from any views you'll see in the East. This year was especially green in the desert due to the large amounts of snow and rain they received up through the early part of June. I wanted to stop every 30 miles or so and take a picture, but these will have to suffice.





I arrived in my grandpa's hometown about 2:30 in the afternoon. My grandpa was waiting for me and we chatted for a while. Once I could tell he was tiring I suggested I might take a nap so that he could. After the nap, we went to visit with my aunt at her job. My grandpa's sister, Marilyn, also stopped by for a chat. She is the genealogist on the Price side of the family, so we have become close the past few years. It was so fun to see everybody and to have some time all to myself with my grandpa and with Joyce, his wife. Grandpa doesn't say a lot--he probably talked more to me than he has in several weeks!

He brought out the family pictures and told me who was how--this time I made sure to write it down for future reference. I don't have copies, but I did take pictures of the pictures with my camera. I should probably play around with them in Photostop before I save them food good, but here are the raw images.

This is my grandpa when he was younger

This is my grandma when she was pregnant with my dad

And this is my dad with his family. My dad is on the far right, and I think the baby he is holding is me.


This is my Grandpa Price with his siblings and parents

these are my grandmother's parents: Effie and Heber

3 comments:

Carroll Family said...

How neat! We LOVE Granny's, too! Worth the drive!!!

canihavethisdance said...

You were in my old stomping grounds. I grew up in Heber and I love Granny's shakes!
Your trip sounds wonderful and you got a lot of good genealogy information.

Lorin and Marilyn said...

What fun pics and those shakes at Granny's are famous.