Sunday, April 20, 2014

Easter Sunday Reflections

What a beautiful Easter Sunday. On the drive to church I saw daffodils, trees with blossoms and budding trees. Our church service consisted of uplifting talks about the Resurrection, the Atonement and our Savior. The musical numbers were varied and testified of the reality of the Resurrection and the Atonement and their application to our daily lives.



After church I went to the Boston Temple to contemplate the lessons of the day and my own thoughts and feelings about Jesus Christ and His resurrection. I found a quiet spot in the sun and out of the wind and read through the chapters in Luke and John that give the account of the Atonement, the trial and mocking of Jesus Christ, the crucifixion and the Resurrection.


What an amazing account of the love of Jesus Christ and our Heavenly Father for each of us. The suffering that Jesus endured cannot be comprehended, but because of that He knows what each of us is going through, how it feels, how difficult it is. When no one else can understand, He does.

He also made it possible for us to repent of our sins, so that we may return to live with God after this life, with our families.


One of the speakers encouraged us to spend some time pondering the Atonement and Resurrection and to read the testimonies of a living prophet and Apostles.  What a wonderful blessing to have a prophet and apostles in this world today, to give guidance and to testify of the mission of Jesus Christ.

He also asked each of us to ask whether we have a witness that Jesus is resurrected, and if so, what are we doing to live according to that knowledge? During the last year or so I have really felt a strong need to spend more time with friends (and those yet to be friends when I get to know them better) at church and in other faiths and to serve them. I am working on being more aware of the needs around me and more willing to serve those around me.

I do have a witness that Jesus is resurrected. Several years ago I went to the Holy Land with a tour group from BYU. The last day that we were there, we walked in the places that Jesus walked during the last week of His life. We spent time in Gethsemane and I was so somber when I thought about all that Jesus suffered because of me and my sins and imperfections. I rejoiced when hearing the words of the hymn "I Stand All Amazed" and knowing that He did all this because He loves me, and He loves everyone who has ever lived on this earth.

We then went to Calvary and to the empty garden tomb. I stood inside that empty tomb and I can witness with certainty that Jesus Christ was resurrected and that because of that, all of us will live again after we die. How grateful I am to Jesus for making this possible.

I leave you with a new video that was recently released that has really touched me this Easter season. I hope that it touches you as well.


2 comments:

Lorin and Marilyn said...

What a wonderful Easter. How
special to be able to read the Easter story on the Temple grounds.

Dawnell said...

Lorilyn, this was beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and strengthening me!