Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Haymarket

I love the Haymarket in Lincoln. When I was in high school we would often go down on weekends for the Farmer's Market. In the past 10-15 years, the area has really been built up and is now the place to go for trendy restaurants and stores.

After the game Cherisa and I visited some of the stores and got some ice cream.

The Licorice International Store was interesting--there are 85 different flavors/types of licorice. Who knew?!




Like the Sunken Gardens, I can't really capture the essence of the Haymarket with a camera, but it's very trendy. It used to be an industrial area and the old factory buildings have been converted into stores, restaurants and condos. This is one of the most popular restaurants.
I love the concept of this store. Women around the world make jewelry, sculptures, scarves and other handmade artwork and this store, and others like it, buy them to support the women. Here is the mission statement from their web page: "We create opportunities for artisans in developing countries to earn income by bringing their products and stories to our markets through long-term, fair trading relationships." The artwork in the store was amazing. I bought a necklace and earring set.
This mirror frame is made from magazine pages. Isn't that cool?
The train station used to be in the Haymarket. It has since moved to a new location, but this mural/sculpture on the building remains. I took the Amtrak train from Utah to this station at Christmastime during my first year of college. Some kid thought he could beat the train and tried to cross the tracks. He made it, but his truck didn't and was hit by the train, causing enough damage that it had to go very slowly the rest of the way. I was supposed to be home a couple of days before Christmas, but because of the delay, I didn't make it until late afternoon/evening on Christmas Eve. My mom was freaking out since I was the oldest and the first one to be away and she couldn't imagine Christmas without having her entire family together. She kept calling Amtrak and telling them they needed to get her daughter home for Christmas. I think everyone was relieved when the train finally pulled in.

1 comment:

Lorin and Marilyn said...

I did freak out, my Lori Lyn had to be home for Christmas?
The Haymarket area keeps changing and getting better