Sunday, August 31, 2014

Catskills vacation: Day 1 and 2 (Sunday and Monday)

I went on a much needed vacation the last week in August. I left Sunday morning right after the first hour of church, packed up and headed out. It was about a 4 hour drive. I stayed at Phoenicia Lodge, which was highly recommended by a friend. I rented a studio cottage. It was a little rustic, but very clean and had everything I needed, including wi-fi, a kitchenette, and a work table. I definitely recommend it.

I was mostly in need of a mental vacation--a break from work and from my house. In this way it was perfect--I didn't look around and see all the projects at home that needed to be finished. I did take my thesis research because I can't get away from that, but that's ok. That doesn't stress me out.

I was in a duplex--my side was on the left
Tried out the hammock, but never quite got the knack of finding a comfortable spot. Oh well--so much for a nap in the hammock
View when first driving into the lodge. They have 4 or 5 cabins, as well as a few motel-like rooms.
 
View of the Catskills (from the back of my cabin)
Nice, comfy bed
Thesis workspace
Kitchenette
Lots of natural light!
View from the porch
Perfect retreat! This is maybe 1/2 mile outside the town of Phoenicia. Monday I went shopping in a town about 10 miles down the road so mostly ate in the cottage, but occasionally ate out. Then I explored Phoenicia. It is small, but it had some nice places to eat and an ice cream/fudge/gift store. Spent the rest of the day organizing my thesis research.

No comments: